Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thank You.

This is from Janice Moore Petty and it is so beautiful that all should hear it.

Nancye, I do not wish you luck, rather Shalom...The noun shalom means safe, for example, well and happy. On a more abstract application, its use points to welfare, for example, health, prosperity, and, peace. It the verb form shalam, though, that provides a deeper understanding of this term in theology, doctrine, and liturgy. Literally translated, shalam signals to a state of safety, but figuratively it points to completeness. In its use in Scripture, shalom describes the actions that lead to a state of soundness, or better yet wholeness. So to say, shalom seems not to merely speak of a state of affairs, but describes a process, an activity, a movement towards fullness. Using the King James Version as reference, James Strong lists the rendering of shalom and shalam, among others, as: • To make amends • To make good • To be (or to make) peace • To restore • Peace • Prosperity • Wellness • Wholeness...Shalom, my dear! The peace of GOD be with you!!

No comments:

  • click to send me an email

  • Don't let us get sick.
    Don't let us get old.
    Don't let us get stupid, all right?
    Just make us be brave.
    And make us play nice.
    And let us be together tonight.

    --Warren Zevon
  • Quotes

    I love people. I love my family, my children...but inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up.
    ~ Pearl S. Buck

    Ultimately, my hope is to amaze myself. The anticipation if discovering new possibilities becomes my greatest joy.
    ~ Jerry Uelsmann